Home About 5:16 Club Forum Contact

Friday, June 20, 2008

Day 9 - Dealing With Distractions


I hope you have your "bobbing" shoes on because today we are going to make like a gazelle and flee!


Proudgrits over at Roots & Wings introduced to me to the saying, "intense like a gazelle!" Apparently it is a term from Dave Ramsey that means to flee from financial traps, i.e. credit cards, by bobbing and weaving like a gazelle does when trying to escape from a cheetah. You can check out his full description here.


Well, I'm borrowing the term for today as it relates to distractions. Distractions pull us away from our priorities and leave our goals empty. We must scream "CHEETAH" when we sense a distraction and then bob and weave to get away! (Some distractions are important, however, like our husbands wanting a kiss, or our children asking us to read a book. Even if we are in the middle of something, always take time for them).


Ask yourself some questions:


What is distracting you from getting up early in the morning and spending time with the Lord?

What is distracting you from doing your housework?

What is distracting you from finishing that organizing project you began?

What is distracting you from spending quality time with your kids? Training and teaching them well?


Figure out your main distractions (computer, telephone, T.V., etc.) and then find ways to flee them. For example, I turn the ringer of my phone off during most of the day so I do not get sidetracked with talking. I'm working on not even turning my computer on in the morning until I spend time with the Lord. These are a couple of ways that have helped me "bob and weave" from the distraction cheetah.


What are some ways you have "bobbed and weaved?"


As for your bedroom sanctuary challenge, keep it up! I can't wait to see the pictures over the weekend!


"Give no sleep to your eyes, nor slumber to your eyelids. Deliver yourself like a gazelle from the hand of the hunter, and like a bird from the hand of the fowler." Proverbs 6:4-5


31 Days to Clean - jump in anywhere or start here!

7 comments:

THE Stephanie said...

What an inspiration! I'm certainly going to have to visit you on a regular basis!

Saw your comment on SITS that you may wanna be Blogalicous!! Send us an email at blogaliciousdesigns@hotmail.com so we can discuss!

Unknown said...

Still working on this myself. I do find that your 6 list helps though. I keep looking at the list to see what I'm supposed to be doing.

Unknown said...

Thanks for the comments as well as the invites, but I am kinda doing my own challege...sort of with a few online friends.LOL. But I will definatley check your blog out from time to time! Thanks again!

Megan @ Megity's Handmade said...

Boy did you hit the nail on the head today! I am so easily distracted. Something to think about...

Anna said...

I have lots of ways to deal with the computer distraction.
You mentioned one of them- waiting until the big things of the day are done.
In Flylady style, my screen saver is set to 15 minutes. I know I can sit down again when that's happened.
Or, I have a sleep/nap timer on the clock radio in the kitchen.

Tiffany @ Lattes And Life said...

Oh yes, I can lose way too much time at the computer. So, like you, I don't even go to it until later in my morning. I make sure my son is changed and fed....that I've had my coffee and Bible study....then I'll let myself hop on real quick to check e-mail and what not. And I have to stay on myself all day to not keep going back.

Rachel's Journal Pages said...

Mmm - my life is full of distraction and I have to set my priorities right so that I don't see my 3 little people (kids) as the distraction to what I want to do - rather than everything else being the distraction to being a good mum... which is the correct order of priorities. It is a daily challenge though that's for sure.