Home About 5:16 Club Forum Contact

Thursday, June 19, 2008

Keeping Commitments - A Lesson Learned

I committed to doing two different things on the same night. In order to fulfill one of them I had to break my word to someone else. I felt horrible, and I don't ever want to make this mistake again.

In lieu of my folly, however, I learned some very valuable lessons:

  1. If you want your word to mean something, follow through and honor your commitments.
  2. Before committing to anything, check to make sure you don't have anything else on that date. Don't ever say yes rashly or because you "feel bad" saying no. Always be forthright, even you think you will disappoint the person asking.
  3. If you make two commitments for the same time, honor the one you committed to first.

I want to be a woman whose word means something. I want to be a woman of integrity.


How have you learned how to be a woman of integrity? Any hard life lessons to get you there?

4 comments:

kari and kijsa said...

We need to print this post out and hang it by the back door so we see it everyday!

blessings,
kari & kijsa

Unknown said...

So sorry that happened to you - I know that it doesn't feel good.

You know, I have to use a planner or I will forget things and double-book! I have one that's big enough to write in for each day, but small enough to fit in my purse.

I list school events, Dr. and other appointments, vacation plans, dinner menus, church events, plans with friends, birthdays, etc., etc. It has already saved me many a time!

I got a cute little one at a Christian book store and it has a verse with every week, which is even nicer. Hope I don't ever lose it! :)

Heathahlee said...

How have I missed so many posts? I thought I kept up during my daily "rounds" but I guess not! :(

I did have to comment on this one, though. Several months ago I committed to singing the National Anthem with a group of ladies at our Minor League's baseball game Thursday night (the same day you posted this) and two days before the game my husband found out that my son had a make-up game of a make-up game the same night. My sweet boy is very committed to his team, and rightly so, so he chose to play. I, then, had to make the awful decision of whether or not to keep my committment to sing or be the Momma I wanted to be by going to his last game of the year. It was not an easy decision, but I decided to sing. I left immediately after we sang and got to his game just before it ended, in time to see him get his trophy. It ended up being okay, but I reeeeeally hate being in that kind of predicament!

Katharyn said...

I changed how I think of not meeting my commitments, from disappointing too – breaking a promises, and breaking a promise I feel is a sin against my neighbor and the divine. What I was surprised to find is that my definition of commitment changed as soon as I did this: I was talking social engagement, but suddenly I’m not just making it to women’s bible study but I’m paying the bills on time, and being a more attentive wife.