Home About 5:16 Club Forum Contact

Sunday, July 20, 2008

Day 27 - "The Room"

Hey everybody, it's Amanda here, finally contributing to the 31 Days of Clean! I was just out with Sarah and thankfully at seven weeks she is still not sick! She is although feeling extremely exhausted and I told her I would write today's post.

So, today's the day... "The Room" day. You know we all have one of those rooms, garages, basements, etc. that just seem to collect everything. For me its my spare bedroom/office and nursery room. They are both of full of, well, just about everything! Judging by Sarah's last post, a lot of people seem have to have that problem. The junk drawer is only the beginning, unfortunately. So today is the day to come up with the plan of attack (not actually clean it, unless you want to!). I know for me, and most likely for many of you, there is just no way that even dovoting a whole day to this room could be enough time to completely clean and organize that space. That is why we need to start with a plan of attack. That way, when we get a chance to tackle that space, we have prepared and can tackle it in no time.

The "Plan"

First, sit down and make a list.
What is this room and or space supposed to be for? (Nursery, storage, guest bedroom, etc.) It;s important to establish what you want the space to be used for, that way you can properly assess what needs to be in there and whats got to go.

Prepare for organizing.
Make sure you've got plenty of garbage bags (in my case, lot's and lot's.) It's time to think about what to throw away, sell, keep, or donate. Also remember to purchase whatever kinds of bins, boxes, or baskets you will need to keep everything properly organized. There are so many great organizing options out there, you just have to find the one that works for you and your space.

If you are properly prepared to tackle "The room," you just might be surprised how fast it gets done and how well it all turns out. Like they always says, "Those who fail to plan, plan to fail."

HGTV.Com has some great organizing tips, so check them out for more help.

Don't forget, if its a really huge project, don't go it alone!

8 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm not sure I'm up to "the room" today - I'm still working on the junk drawer from Friday. Did I mention I had to clean?!! Thanks for giving me goals - I may be slow but I eventually get them done.

kari said...

thanks for the gentle way you encourage us to get better organized. you make it so exciting to get out the gloves and dig deep.

hope you have a restful day sarah! thank you amanda for great post!

Anonymous said...

I always end up throwing away so much when I tackle my office, that's my "catch-all" room.

Thanks for the tip to plan prior to tackling the room. That would makes things go a lot faster.

Kristi said...

Glad I stopped by today, I have my computer room/play room that has gotten a little out of control and was needing a little inspiration to get cleaning. I think I'll go buy some bins and get started!

Kim @ Homesteader's Heart said...

Ok ladies I know you have already been given this award but I too am giving it to you because your blog is inspiring. Come check it out!
Blessings,
Kim

Cassandra said...

Wow. I have TWO rooms....the garage and the guest room/nursery of the (big)baby who sleeps in our bed. I love how I can just make my plan of attack for this room...since this our VBS week. I am too fried to actually clean it but i am making a plan. Promise. :)

Kimba said...

The basement. The basement.The basement. Ugh.

The good part about moving is that it forces me to organize and dispose of things the I need to let go of.

Nice to "meet" you, Amanda!

I hope you get your energy back soon, Sarah Mae. That first trimester exhaustion is horrible.

Joan@CopperCreeker said...

eeeek! THE ROOM! I got one of those:) I'm in process of major decluttering, changing things around... hard sometimes due to mom's Alzheimer's flaring up... but we're "gettin' thar!"