Home About 5:16 Club Forum Contact

Sunday, May 31, 2009

Some Articles I've Been Reading...

The Real Woman's Liberation Movement: Christianity, By Stacey McDonald
Many feminists rant about the oppression biblical teaching places upon women; but, Christianity is what freed us from that oppression!

Does The Bible Allow For Divorce In The Case Of Adultery? By John Piper
I don't think so. I don't think the Bible allows divorce and remarriage ever while the spouse is living. That's my radical, crazy, conservative, narrow, hard-nosed, very needed view in our divorce-happy culture.

Life with Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde: The Verbally Abusive Marriage, By Dr. David Hawkins

Kari crumpled to the floor, oblivious to the fact that their two children were quietly sitting in their rooms, praying the fighting would stop.

The Divine Appointment, by June Fuentes
Here is how to pray---why not start praying for that sweet, warm little bundle in your arms by starting at the top of their little heads and working right down their body

Calvinists, Let's Calm Down
, By Michael Patton
Calm down. Back up. Take ten. Find an Arminian friend and see if they don’t love the same Lord.


8 comments:

Tiffany said...

You've been digging in deep on this topic this week. Thanks for sharing the articles.

Julianne said...

I just was reading Mrs. Fuentes' post about Divine Appt.! Her topics are so right on. And I'd like to add that your views on divorce aren't crazy- I totally agree with you 100%. Okay, so I've got a question for you about blogging (I hope that's okay), you have such an awesome blog and you have such a following after only a year! I have such a heart for this new blog of mine, to impart wisdom, and to receive wisdom too. How can I get more people to visit my site- without shoving it down their throats, or doing anything innappropriate (like I feel I'm almost doing now by asking this in your comment section). I was just hoping you could give me some ideas.
Thanks!
Julianne :)

Hannah said...

Your reading material is good. Thanks for sharing. I do have question about whether you feel the same way as John Piper on divorce. The quote that you quoted, is that your personal feeling?
I would also love to read your answer to the question that mom-2-4asks in her comment about getting readers to her blog. Someday I also want to have a blog that blesses and ministers to other ladies. Bless you for taking the time for your blog. I am loving it so far.

Sarah Mae said...

Hannah,

I have no idea whether I feel the same way as Piper or not, to be honest! I just found the article very interesting and worth thinking about and studying scripure more over it. :)

As far as blogging, I think I'll write a separate post b/c I have been getting a log of questions about readership, etc.

Sarah Mae said...

Julianne,

I honestly don't know enough to take a hard stance on divorce, but I certainly found the Piper article very thought-provoking.

As far as your blogging question, I will write a separate post. :)

Muthering Heights said...

I like these posts...you are always reading very interesting articles! :)

Amanda Jo said...

Another EXCELLENT book on this topic is Radical Womanhood by Carolyn McCulley! Seriously its a GREAT book!!!

Allie Z said...

Sarah Mae- thanks for these great links. I didn't realize that the tidbits were from the authors; I was thinking they were summaries you were providing...

I can much relate to the Piper article. While adultery is a word used for a a very broad definition, it's something to think about, peruse, read, become enlightened upon. My marriage faced this earlier on in the first few months. It was a tough time for me, to learn my value and understand where I fit. If we hadn't centered our relationship on Christ, I would have left. I'm thankful for that oppurtunity to push on and grow together.

PS- we're expecting! it's a shock, something unplanned but definately welcomed. So we'll have Hannah 11, Haileigh 6, Ben 2, and an infant come January. Wowzers!

~Allie