So much excitement I can hardly stand it! First up is the You Don't Have To Be Frumpy To Be Modest blog fashion show (otherwise known as Y.D.H.T.B.F.T.B.M)! On January 15th we (yes we) are going to show the blogosphere that it is possible to be modest and super stylin' cute at the same time! Get your favorite modest outfit (or outfits) together and be prepared to share a picture of you sporting it for your blog. Are you with me?! If so, grab the above button and put it in your sidebar with a link to this post so we can get as many people as possible. I can't wait to see what cute outfits you all have! This fashion show so works for me! (If you don't know how to put the button on your blog or link back here with it, shoot me an e-mail and I'll help ya out!)
Now on to even more exciting news...
A giveaway! Not just any giveaway, but a Christa-Taylor $25 gift certificate giveaway (donated by the gracious Christa herself)! What? You're not familiar with this designer? Well, let me just say that you are MISSING OUT! She is an amazing designer who creates beautiful and modern clothing that is MODEST! See, I told you you don't have to be frumpy to be modest!
Here is one of my favs:
Moving on to the topic at hand...
What Is Modesty?
Modesty is to merit, what shade is to figures in a picture; it gives it strength and makes it stand out."
Jean de la Bruyere
Modesty is a word that has come to be known as a manner of behavior and/or dress that basically means you are humble in your heart in how you choose to act and dress. For Christians, being modest should mean:
- That we as women are aware of the struggles that men have with keeping a pure mind and, in turn, dress and act in such a way that does not promote ungodliness in them,
- Finding a balance between the God given feminine quality of beauty without a striving or focus to be the beauty, and...
- Standing out from the ungodliness of the world.
Let me say that this type of modesty is a process. I became a Christian at the beginning of college and it has taken me nine years to get to the point I'm at - striving to be modest but still cleaning out my closet year after year as I mature a little more and my eyes are opened to old truths shining forth in the darkness of my sin nature. I can look back at how I used to dress in very immodest ways, even after becoming a Christian, and have compassion on those who do not realize what they are doing.
I am not who I was, and I am not yet who I will be.
Neither are you.
If we are open and willing to submit to godliness, we will be changed...it may take days, weeks, or years. The question to ask yourself is:
Am I willing to be changed?
Tomorrow I want to look at how modesty has everything to do with the very soul of a woman. What God has given women with our bodies is sacred ground, and there are levels of intimacy that we must be aware of if we are to truly pursue a modest and godly lifestyle.
"The women in the church should not look exactly like the ungodly, seductive women in the world. Women in the church are to be different. They should stand out not because of their revealing clothing but because of their distinctly modest heart and dress." C.J. Mahaney
How To Enter The Christa-Taylor $25 Gift Certificate Giveaway:
- Go to the Christa-Taylor website and then come back and leave a comment with your favorite piece of clothing from her collection.
- To be entered twice, also leave a comment on Christa's blog telling her your favorite piece of clothing from her collection - make sure to let me know you did this! (This would really encourage the wonderful work she does!)
- To be entered three times, do the above things and promote this giveaway on your blog.
- To be entered four times, do the above things and subscribe to my feed - you can do that here (then you won't have to miss any of the series!) Make sure you also let me know you subscribed. If you are already subscribed, you have an extra entry.
The Contest will end on Friday, January 16th at midnight. The winner will be announced on the following Monday.
*Next week you all will get to know Christa a little better... :)