Home About 5:16 Club Forum Contact

Thursday, May 29, 2008

The Power of His Word

Once again, I am blown away by the power of God’s Word. You would think I’d remember that His Word is "living and active and sharper than any two-edged sword, and piercing as far as the division of soul and spirit...", but all too often I forget. When I do not spend time with God, in the scriptures, I leave myself to my own devices - my own thoughts and rationalizations. Things begin to seem unclear, and God fades into the distance. Doubts arise, questions lurk, and the evil one smiles. Even after just a few minutes of reading my bible, I am filled with His spirit and in awe of the truth and potency of it.

His Word brings light to the darkness. Without Him I am blind. I need His light every day, every moment. I cannot see by opening my own eyes, but rather, I need my heart to be enlightened. Paul, in Ephesians 1, prayed for us that our hearts "may be enlightened to the hope of His calling, the riches of the glory of His inheritance in the saints, and what is the surpassing greatness of His power towards us." I must, if I am to survive, daily drink of the living water that His Word offers.

The fruits of spending time in the scriptures, learning and obeying them (Psalm 19:7-11):

  • Our soul is restored (the enemies of God become His children)

  • The simple will become wise

  • Our hearts will rejoice

  • Our eyes will be enlightened

  • We receive warning

  • There is great reward

    What we know about His Word (Psalm 19:7-11, 2 Timothy 3:16):

  • It is pure

  • It endures forever

  • It is true and righteous altogether

  • It is more desirable than gold and sweeter than honey

  • It is inspired by God

  • It is profitable for teaching, reproof, correction and training in righteousness

    Let us not forget these truths when we step out of the light. In fact, let us not step out of the light at all! Let’s commit to spending our first hours awake with the One who knows the deepest parts of our very being. You and I both know that the rushes of the day will most likely sweep us away if we don’t sit at His feet first thing.

    Let’s do this together. See you bright and early!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Very good. I got back from a Bible Study today - always feel better after it.